**Just a quick disclaimer. I am not a doctor (obviously), and am only speaking from my personal perspective. I do not mean to offend, embarrass, or hurt anyone by writing this post. My purpose is to help anyone who might see themselves in a similar situation. I am not a saint, this is not always easy. But I am not embarrassed by my son at all. How could I be...he is the most adorable thing ever! (both my boys are tied)
Some of you may know that since about his second birthday we have been Jackson tested for all sorts of learning delays. He is not much of a talkative child (to say the least), so you may have noticed. We are still in the process of a lot more testing, but what we do know is that something is definately "different". Don't misunderstand me...I love my son more than he will ever know, and for that reason alone he will always be perfect to me. But, like most parents I want him to be able to experience his life through every means possible. I would love for him to be able to eat by himself. I would be thrilled if he could tell me what he wants. It would be unbelievable if he could just simply find a way to do all the things that his friends get to do. Luckily, he is a really kind, happy and loving boy. He has no clue how far behind he is, and for that I am very greatful.
This post is not really about Jack though. It is for anyone who can read. Basically, at the beginning of this roller coaster ride, I realized that there is no one in charge of Jackson...just Jonn and me. We had to educate ourselves quickly on all the possibilities from developmental delays. It was up to us to find where to get evaluations done, which therapists were the best, and what all the diagnosises mean. It is a full-time job, and has quickly developed into a team of five therapists, multiple specialists, and work from the two of us at home. We are the advocates for our son.
We are so lucky being surrounded by so many awesome friends in the teaching and therapy fields. Through their help and google (seriously!) we have been able to get him everything he needs and hopefully it will positively effect the outcome of the rest of his life. In case you or someone you may know is questioning any delay in their own kids pass along this information:
Infant Toddler Network
324-1651
Spokane Regional Health District
1101 West College Avenue, Room 240
Spokane 99201
Provides information, referral, screening, tracking, evaluation, assessment, access to therapy and Family Resources Coordination. Financial assistance may be available for these services.
Anyone can call this number to set up an evaluation for their own child just to see that they are hitting all of their milestones. It was a godsend to us, and every therapist at the initial evaluation was wonderful. The "child find" is a free service through the health district, what is there to lose? Unlike physical health problems, there is very little (almost none) guidance on what to do once you suspect your child might need some help. The Infant Toddler Network is a perfect place to start.
Some people probably think we are being a little too open about Jackson and his "issues". For us though, it is an opportunity to be an example of not shying away from people with special needs no matter how significant or insignificant they may be. For anyone who might need some support or just have questions, we are always willing to talk! The key is to get help early, the sooner the better! For our family, this is the best way we know how. To all the parents out there...please remember that you are always your child's best advocate!
Minnie And Me
2 weeks ago


4 comments:
I think it is really great that you are putting this out there and letting others know where they can go! See you friday, Theresa
Steph, you are so awesome for putting this out there...I for one wouldn't know what to do either, and I think it's super important to make information available for anyone. Plus in talking about everything that's going on, you are bound to make more connections and find even more avenues to help Jack (not to mention support and encouragement for you and Jonn!). But more than all that I'm just so proud to be your friend and to watch you be an advocate for your kids! You both are amazing parents and Jackson and Liam are incredibly lucky (we'll make sure to tell them this when they are teenagers!)
Love ya!
I can't say enough positive things about the Infant Toddler Network. They were wonderful with Jonah in his early months...I don't know if you remember all the trauma he had to his poor little head and the injury to his neck during delivery. Infant Toddler Network actually found us!!!! I'm so glad you wrote this post and I agree with you 100% ~ We are our kids advocates! Stephanie, you are such a great Mama!
Good for you Stephanie! We had Daniel enrolled in the Infant Toddler Network from birth to just after his 3rd birthday. They were very helpful to us with his physical delays, and now he is doing wonderful. I'm so glad you are on the correct path for Jack - he'll be a stronger boy because of the work of his parents!
Post a Comment