4.30.2010

a plea for help

This is one of those wierd last-ditch-efforts that one resorts to when a google dead-end is hit. I am sure that most people know about our son Jackson and his diagnosis of autism. (if you don't...surprise!) Lately, I have been doing more research than normal since I have a bit of free time away from school. I am becoming increasingly more interested in a movement that basically describes autism as a neuro-immune disorder. I went to a lecture tonight by Dr. Michael J. Goldberg and it peaked my interest even further. For the first time, things clicked for me. This is a man who does medical, SCIENTIFIC-BASED research and has had amazing results.

There are things about the various "popular" and celebrity-endorsed protocols that never felt quite right. Supplements, diets, shots, hyperbarric treatments, and heavy metal detox. It is a little hard to swallow sometimes. Yet, as a parent, you are made to feel like your instincts are dumb. I really try not to judge anyone going through this because I do think that every family needs to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with and believe in. There just can't be a one-size-fits-all.

No one wanted to listen when I told them that my son was vomiting for not reason and it was like he had a concusion. I tried to explain that he did not seem to have pain, just confusion. The look on his face during these episodes were strange. Instincts said..."head trauma. Just like an athlete would behave". Further confirmed because he always wanted to eat afterwards.

Things just never come out the way I want to describe. It is just a "feeling". I realize I sound a bit wacko.

Anyway, (rambling now cause it's late...sorry) my plea is this: If you are reading this and have any ideas about, research on, or experience with things like neuroSPECT scans, the XMRV retrovirus or use of SSRI's in autistic children, please let me know.

I just wanted to throw that out to the universe. What can I say, I want a cure just like every other mom out there!

3 comments:

Hannah Ashmore said...

I have a friend on fb that posted a bunch of links on these a while back. i will email him and see if he still has them. i thought they were all very interesting.

Meegan said...

Have you joined the Autism Support Group through MOMS Club? I think you would get a lot of information from the Moms that are there. They are in the trenches dealing with what you are dealing with. Let me know if you need a link for it - I think it would help your research and help you connect with other moms in your situation.
Meegan

The Westbys said...

Hello,
We don't know each other but I stumbled upon your blog from another...John and I went to high school and college together and so I immediately was excited to see what his family was up to! And, such a beautiful family!

I don't have much experience with specifics about treatment of autism but I teach with an awesome teacher who specializes in helping educate students with autism and similar challenges.

I sent her an email asking what her thoughts were on some of the treatments/programs you mentioned. She basically had the same feelings you do about "celebrity endorsed" vs. scientific based treatments. She is a big fan of Applied Behavior Analysis and recommended a few websites as resources.

The Arc of Washington--this is a great resource to network and find out more about local agencies that can help kids with disabilities.
http://www.arcwa.org/

Austims Speaks
Austimspeaks.org--This has great up-to-date information for families

This is a really long comment but I just wanted to do what I could to give you any information that might help. If you are interested in talking w/ my friend I'm sure she would be very happy to email with you. She is such an awesome advocate for kids with Autism and other challenges.

I feel kind of cyber-stalkerish since we have never met but I'm really glad I ran across your blog.
-Alisha (Simchuk) Westby