I have been thinking about what to write in this blog for a long time...so much has happened to our little family
For starters, Liam turned one! We had a big celebration with all our friends that just happened to include a big bouncy castle. It was so much fun, I highly recommend it! It was a crazy year since Liam was born and we just wanted to have a full day of fun with the kids. It was perfect and definately gave us some playtime that we all needed!
Just before that, we moved! We found a lovely family to rent our home so that we could move in with my parents. It was a very quick decision that has turned out to be an even bigger blessing than anyone had initially intended. Words cannot describe the sense of calm that has come over everyone that has been a wonderful effect of having extra help. This leads us to the big news that happened just a few weeks ago...Jackson being diagnoised with autism.
For about the past year and a half, we have been trying to put everything together with Jack. Autism just happens to be it. He has been going to therapies at least 3 days a week during that period for what we thought were just "developmental delays" in the hopes that he would catch up and be "normal". Well, it wasn't quite that simple. Luckliy, we have a wonderful team a pediatricians here in town who recommended we take a visit to Seattle Children's Hospital last spring. They got an initial baseline of Jack's behaviors so when we went in September they were able to track his progress as well as administer a standardized test. In our case, it was the ADOS which is fairly common in areas around UW.
Very long story short...there was some confusion about autism and all that it meant for us. But we learned something simple that i hope will help; there are three main developmental areas that they look for in order to classify.
Social Interaction
Communication and Speech
Odd or Unusual Behaviors
Here's the cheat sheet...if you have delays in social interaction and odd or unusual behaviors, you would be classified as having "asperger's syndrome". If you have delays in communication as well as either social interaction or unusual behaviors, you would be classified as being having "autism spectrum disorder". If you have delays in all three areas, you would be classified as "autistic". Does that help?? In our case, Jackson has delays in all three areas. It gets really confusing for people when you also note it is possible to have "autistic tendencies". It's a big umbrella.
I know that people have strong opinions on whether or not to "label" their kids. For us, it was a little adjustment but then we realized that the only thing that changed is that it is much easier to get the services for Jack that he needs. It's a lot to digest at first, but all ending up good.
I would encourage anyone with concerns with the development with their kids to keep searching for answers when you know in your heart that something is wrong. Just as in our case, once you push throught the uncomfortable stuff, the support and help you can get is a tremendous help. On the days I feel like I am going to lose my mind if I have to see another doctor, I lean on my support system and humbily remind myself how much worse it could truly be. I get a reminder everyday we sit in the waiting rooms of hospitals, clinics, and therapists. Besides, Autism does not define Jackson. He is just the same adorable little guy that I have gotten to know over the last 2 1/2 years. Love him to death! LOL
If anyone wants or needs more information start at www.autismspeaks.org. It is a great source that I refer to often. They even sent me an awesome "first 100 days kit" that is perfect for families needing support or some guidance.
Lastly (sorry I ramble), I have to thank my parents and wonderful husband for all their support. Moving in together was a great decision that works for us, and I could never express what having laundry done or dinner made by my mom has meant for me and my stress level...love you!
Minnie And Me
2 weeks ago


4 comments:
Love you. You're amazing! Can't wait to see you (hopefully) soon!
You are an AMAZING Mom!
Stephanie - you are an amazing mom. I will keep your family in my prayers, that everything works together for Jackson. He will do wonders with such a loving supportive family.
i think knowing is power. you are such a wonderful person that i have no doubt that you are an amazing mother. love you!
Post a Comment